SwaziCompanions of Iowa

Thursday, July 27, 2006

More on blockmaking. . . from Gene




July 26

What a great day at the work site. We were making more blocks today and 5 or 6 children were trying to help fill the molds and pull the slipform off of the wet block. Several of the boys tried to pull the form off but just could not do it. I pulled it off and began making more blocks while they helped fill the forms with block mix. They again wanted to try to pull the form off of the wet block. A couple of boys tried again and could not pull the form. A little girl wanted to try so I let her have a turn, and lo and behold, she did it. We gave her a round of applause and filled the form for another block. The boys were even more determined to pull the form since they had just been shown up by the girl in the group. This time they were successful. I soon found myself standing back and giving them some direction on how to fill the form, shake it and then pack it so they could then pull the form. We applauded as they were successful in making one block after another.

I must admit that I was a bit annoyed at first as they were slowing the process of making blocks down by wanting to try but not being successful at doing it. After they got the hang of it and began making one block after another, I realized that I would be gone in a week but they would be here to help continue making blocks in the future for their school. We were so proud of their accomplishment. As Andy said, it was a Tom Sawyer moment.

Gene

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home