SwaziCompanions of Iowa

Sunday, July 09, 2006

More Reflections

I still am waking up fully in Africa, before realizing I'm back in Iowa. The experience of Swaziland is deeply imbedded and vitally alive within, the images, sounds, touch and tastes still vivid. God was so profoundly and palpably present in Africa. As Barbara noted, "We have seen the face of God in Swaziland." This morning at about 3 a.m., I got up to ponder and write about why that might be. Of course, God is in Iowa, but why did I feel the holiness that is God less etherally, so tangibly in Swaziland? Certainly, the problems in Swaziland are more severe and clearcut. It is easier to see what God's call is in a very clarion, urgent way. Also, in Swaziland, the church and clergy and laypeople are on the frontline serving people in dire need. We witnessed courage, conviction, perseverance and generosity in large measure by our Swazi brothers and sisters. They provide a model of what it means to serve well beyond what is comfortable and convenient, what it means to live Christ's gospel message on a daily 24/7 basis. The other item I noted in my journal was the cultural static here in Iowa that too often drowns out our relationship with God, Jesus and Holy Spirit -- our busyness, materialism, media onslaught... I want to name the meanings of our spiritual journey in Swaziland -- one by one, as carefully as I pulled the barbed thorns from the material of my skirt and the skin of my legs while on the Nisela Safari. I want to focus with intentional care and discernment on the ways the time in Africa pierced my soul, emotions, goals, prayers. And in naming those penetrating experiences, I hope to retain their presence in my life.

—Melody Rockwell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home