SwaziCompanions of Iowa

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Nutrition Wrap-up

This is intended as a bit of a wrap-up on the nutrition part of the healthcare mission – again from the perspective of the theoretical mathematician (and old man of the trip).

Mary Jane conducted a total of 12 mini-workshops (about two hours each) over a period of nine days (M-F of week one and M-Th of week two). Seven of these were oriented primarily to volunteers who feed orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), three were primarily for volunteers who do home-based care, and two were a combination of the two groups. My role was to take notes, take pictures, and occasionally ask if she intended to talk about some particular topic and to sometimes assist with making changes in the slides for the next presentation.

These workshops were sometimes for as few as three volunteers, more frequently for six to eight volunteers, and occasionally for quite a few more. Each day we were driven by either Rosemary or Andrew+ Symonds and accompanied by two members of the Diocesan HIV/AIDS staff. Philile, Thulie, and Lungile took turns translating for us – Mary Jane’s method of teaching them. By the second week they were frequently getting ahead of her. They particularly liked Mary Jane’s statement that working men need energy (calories) but their need for protein is not higher than that of children and young women of child-bearing age. They could push that statement in cultural ways that always got the women laughing at the thought that they now had a reason to pursue change at home.


It was hard for us to judge just how successful these sessions were, but the staff kept assuring us that the volunteers were grateful. Good questions were raised in several of the workshops. Most of the sessions were held in a church or school, but in Mpandesane (site of the second dental clinic), the workshop was held under a tree (and the computer was quickly put aside since the sun was too bright). After all, “when two or three are gathered (under a tree) Jesus will be there”, we were reminded.

In addition to the workshops, we observed children eating their meals and also made four home visits with volunteer care providers to have a better idea of what is involved. After one of those visits we left the volunteer at the clinic where she was to pick up medicine for one of the patients. While we headed to our next workshop, she would be walking the three kilometers back to his home along the dirt track, through the rain. At one parish the 15 care providers have 12 critically ill patients whom they visit both morning and afternoon.

Forty volunteers from across Swaziland were invited to participate in a Friday night, Saturday workshop at the Thokoza Centre at the end of our stay. Thirty-eight came along with ten Iowans, the three staff from the HIV/AIDS office, and Rosemary and Andrew Symonds. Friday night was probably a bit too long for everyone – the dental team got back about 1 pm so had little time to recuperate before 4 pm tea. The participants came from all over the country – mostly by “kombie” – so were also tired.However, interaction was good.

Saturday morning was the “teaching” portion of the workshop with presentations on Palliative Care (Kendra), Oral Health (Terry), and Nutrition (Mary Jane+). Iowans participated in table discussions as listeners and recorders and were impressed with the stories they heard about the work of these volunteers.


The power-point presentations were left with the staff. It is our hope that they will translate the slides into SiSwati to be more useful for them to continue teaching.

It was a tiring experience, a humbling experience, and a joyous experience as we saw the work these people do with so little resources.

10 Comments:

  • Thank you David and Mary Jane for your respectful work with the Anglican caregivers in Swaziland!

    By Anonymous Melody, at 7:12 PM  

  • Hi, I work in a communication company I want to share my testimony to the world, my name is maria katrina, i am from united kingdom in belfast north ireland, I was a stripper in a club I got effected with HIV due to the nature of my job, In april 15 2013 i was tested positive to HIV, Believe it or not this is a true life experience. This is not design to convince you but its just a personal health experience . I never taught doctor hakim could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but I couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i came across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of this great powerful healing spell doctor ,I wonder why he is called the great papa hakim, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so I quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and so i did all the things he asked me to do, He never collected any money from me until I was finally cured, only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i went to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing doctor hakim gave to me from the ancient part of africa, you can email him now for your own healing too on his email: dr.hakimherbalspellworld@gmail.com. thank you doctor for healing me from HIV. I am free and happy. here is my mobile number to really confirm from me +44702407844

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:27 PM  

  • Am Jessica Morgan,i have read testimonies about this great man called Dr.Ekpiku how he helped people to get pregnant and also help people to cure Herpes simplex virus with his herbal medicine, so i decided to give him a try, i am here today to give my own testimony on how this great man helped me to cure my Herpes disease and also helped my sister to get pregnant, i just told him and he said he was going to work on it miraculously and in a short period of time i was lifted from these terrible disease. And it took my sister just a week to get pregnant after he was done. Contact this great man and He will help you no matter the problem you are facing. Email him at ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@gmail.com or ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@hotmail.com call +2348073673757 OR whatsapp him.THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ekpiku. . HERPES . HIV/AIDS . CANCER

    By Blogger Jessica Morgan, at 7:52 PM  

  • Thank you Dr. Okuns, your herbal medicine is a good remedy for herpes cure, and Removing Warts! You can contact Dr. Okuns via E-mail: herbal.home247@yahoo.com for any types of diseases solutions or WhatsApp him on: +2348078467513

    My name is Mary Hanson, am from United State. I want the general public
    to know how this great man called Dr. Okuns cure me and my sister from GENITAL HERPES with the herbal medicine gotten from him, he cures other diseases too like STD, SYPHILIS, My own was worst I have suffered for Human papilloma virus HPV) for 2years he cure me too, herbal is a great medication. he have a medicine that is 100% percent assured to cure any type of disease and you don't need to spend so much money anymore . I want you to contact Dr. Okuns on: herbal.home247@yahoo.com My family is now a brand new one, so stop your worries and go get your herbal medicine now to get your family free from deadly disease. Once again thanks to Dr. Okuns you can contact him now via phone number: +2348078467513

    By Blogger MARRY HANSON , at 3:28 PM  

  • Thank you Dr. Okuns, your herbal medicine is a good remedy for GENITAL HERPES CURE, and Removing Warts you can contact him via E-mail: herbal.home247@yahoo.com for any types of diseases solutions or WhatsApp him on: +2348078467513

    My name is Mary Hanson, am from United State. I want the general public to know how this great man called Dr. Okuns cure me from GENITAL HERPES with the herbal medicine gotten from him, he cures other diseases too like STD, SYPHILIS, BRAIN TUMOR, CANCER. My sister own was worst she suffered for Human papilloma virus HPV) for 2years and he cure me too, herbal is a great medication. he have a medicine that is 100% percent sure to cure any type of disease and you don't need to spend so much money anymore. I want you to contact Dr. Okuns on: herbal.home247@yahoo.com for any types of sickness or disease, My family is now a brand new one, so stop your worries and go get your herbal medicine now to get your family free from deadly disease. Once again thanks to Dr. Okuns you can contact him now via phone number: +2348078467513 or email him on: herbal.home247@yahoo.com

    By Blogger MARRY HANSON , at 4:57 AM  

  • Me and my husband got diagnosed with human papilloma virus HPV for the past 3yrs. Few weeks ago I got reviewed online people who were diagnosed with human papilloma virus HPV reported online extremely positive results of Dr Oselumen helping them with natural herbal treatment and they all got cure permanently and healthy. And i also contact Dr Oselumen to help me and my husband in curing our human papillomavirus virus HPV. Ever since me and my husband took Dr Oselumen natural herbal treatment will both are totally cured and stronger and healthy. I’m so happy that me and my husbnad are now finally got cured permanently . anyone who need human papilloma virus HPV cure should email him for any incurable virus .. droselumen@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348054265852...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:21 PM  

  • Good Day everyone, just want to share my experience here so you all should be more careful when contacting any herbalist for solution cos majority of the testimonies are fake and were the ones that fooled me.they all uses the same local code number (+234) cos i have been screwed by some of them.My Husband was suffering from Hsv for years and i went everywhere to get useful information that will help cure or suppress the disease.then i came across testimonies of those that took my hard earn money without any useful information or cure but they keep telling stories.about two months ago, a new staff was employed in my place of work and when He heard about my Husband Disease He was so remorseful and told me about Dr Emmanuel.but i felt it was still one of those Internet guys so i didn't call or text Dr Emmanuel. later that week, He asked me if i`ve heard from Dr Emmanuel and he gave me proof and reasons to try.well, lots of thanks to Dr Emmanuel cos as im writing this message, my Husband is CURED through the herbs that Dr Emmanuel sent to us.so after my experience, i decided to save some people from falling to the hands of SCAMS.thx for your time and if you require the service of Dr Emmanuel, you have to reach him via email: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com  or WhatsApp/Call +2348140073965
    you can also reach me on  +1(862) 260-4433  
    he have cure to all kinds of virus and disease,thank you 

    By Blogger willian vivian, at 8:19 AM  

  • I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    By Blogger monika love, at 11:47 PM  

  • 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com  

    By Blogger ben rita, at 5:09 PM  

  • Hello viewers I am glad to have met with the powerful herbal healer called
    Dr voodoo who use his herbs to cure my HIV disease I suffered from 5years
    but now I am a happy woman and i am free from this sickness that has been
    a problem to my living, after using Dr voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i
    was diagnose negative, I will recommend Dr voodoo to everyone reading this
    article because this herbal healer is capable to heal anything, the
    scientist said has no cure, Email him : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or
    add Dr voodoo on whatsApp: +2348140120719

    By Blogger Tamara Barrow, at 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home