SwaziCompanions of Iowa

Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Chief's Kraal, part 1. . .from Lydia







Today we visited the chiefs home, or royal kraal (corral in America). It was very interesting. After our initial welcome, the Bishop and Ron made small speeches about why we were here and what we were doing in Swaziland. The chief also welcomed us there. When the Bishop asked if we could take pictures to take back to the US, the Chief said that they should be the ones asking to have their pictures taken so that the world could see more of Swaziland. Then the Chief and his council took us tour or the property. There was a small area where the warriors would meet with chief, then a small cow pen where a young boy tended the herds. Outside there was a large area where women were sifting sorghum. They told us that this sorghum is also food for the orphans. There were a few huts where the young men stayed when they harvested the sorghum and a place where the women prepared the food. The last place we visited was the house of the Chief.

On our way back to the welcome hall the Chiefs jester grabbed me and dragged me to the front of our group towards the Chief. He was talking in SiSwati so I couldn’t understand him, but a woman next to me said he was taking me to the Chief to be his bride. The Chief seemed very surprised at this news and laughed with the rest or us. At our farewell, as the advisor was thanking us for coming, the Chief leaned over and whispered something in his ear. Then the translator said ‘and I understand there is a young lady among us that has to stay here in Swaziland with the Chief’. Everyone laughed and when we went out side to go, I got my picture with the Chief. Mom mentioned that I would like to come back to teach at St. Augustine’s. I told him I would look him up and he said “You’ll find me here”.

Lydia

2 Comments:

  • Hi All,

    We are loving reading of your days. Laughed out loud when reading Paula's account of brick making and Andy's retort of when you'd all be accomplished at it!
    Can't wait to see you face-to-face and hear it all in person. Kate Rose

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 AM  

  • Lydia,
    If you aren't careful, Meshack will try to set you up with the King. Then you'll have a king AND a chief fighting over you. ;-)
    Karen Nichols

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home