SwaziCompanions of Iowa

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A Black Webbed Belt . . from Toni


Some of the orphans at St. Augustine's












An interesting thing happened on the way over here. I borrowed an old green woven cinch belt from my daughter-in-law to keep one of the bags I was planning to check secured during the flight. When I got here and claimed the bag at the airport, I noticed that the belt was missing. My first thought, and only concern, was how I was going to explain to Tonya that I had lost it. At the Thokoza Centre, when I unpacked the bag, I was surprised and amused to find no official notice in the bag, but a brand new webbed belt in charcoal black. I couldn’t imagine where it had come from, or why it was there.

This whole week I have been trying to figure out what this meant. Is it a metaphor? Is it an omen? Or is it just a black webbed belt?

During Father Advent’s sermon Sunday morning it finally struck me. The black belt is all the unexpected assistance that has turned up at just the time most needed to solve the mini-crisis of the moment. It was the night watchman coming out of the 6:30 a.m. shadows to throw a bucket of water on the windshield of the van and melt the ice so that we could get to church on time. It was the kindness and resourcefulness of the owners and staff of the A to Zee store who made sure that we got the help we needed when Mike fell down. It was Terry finding a key ring that would fit his finger and could stand-in for a wedding ring during his and Stevie’s renewal of their marriage vows. It was the guides at Hlane National Park pooling their information so that everyone was able to see the animals. It was Bishop Mabuza’s eloquent defense of the project and of why the chief, and his councils should allow us to continue to work at Mpaka.

It was so many large and small beneficences that have made our first week in Swaziland comfortable and smooth.

And so I give thanks for black webbed cinch belts – as well as for delicious food, beautiful weather, sensitive and cooperative traveling companions, the awe inspiring beauty of the Kingdom of Swaziland, but most of all for the never-failing graciousness, goodness and warmth of the people of this country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home