SwaziCompanions of Iowa

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Mike's Accident



Mike, Terry and a visitor sent by the Chief Posted by Picasa

We had the afternoon of Thursday July 27th off after meeting with the localtribal chief in the morning. I walked to downtown Mbabane with five others.As we were returning about 5 PM and as we passed a muti-purpose store, I tripped on a brick that was far from level. I was focused on the person in front and I went down very quickly while saying "oh shit. The full effect ofthe fall was absorbed by my left thumb which was then 180 degrees out of place and I was bleeding like the proverbial stuffed pig.

The shop owners invited the party in and arranged to help stop the bleeding. The shop owners' son was a near by physician and he appeared and offered to take me to the hospital. I chose the private hospital. Terry went with me; Toni and Stevie waited for help from the Center; andKeith and Holly went to the Center to summon help. Many appeared at thehospital.

Result was a dislocated thumb; numbing shots; relocation of the thumb; 2stitches; X-rays with nothing broken; Rx for pain, inflammation and ananti-biotic for under $300 cash. I had bought trip insurance including medical. Between our vet and dentist I was in good care. I saw the doctor again the day before we left. On 8/7 my family physician removed the stitches and referred me to PT for therapy and wound care. I am a diabetic. This was the most memorable event for me but I had many that were more pleasant. On 8/2 I revisited the shop and they were glad to see me and I bought fort he school thru the generosity of Margaret a leather soccer ball with many thanks.
Peace.
Deacon Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home